Sr. Director/Director of Retention and CRM Marketing
San Francisco, CA
Blurb is looking for a high-level strategic and operational leader who will be responsible for leading the strategic vision, ownership and implementation of customer retention communications and channels (Email primarily but grow Mobile, SMS, Push) that nurture long-term customer relationships, reduce churn, and increase engagement, frequency, monetization, customer database and lifetime value. This growth-oriented marketing leader will have a strong base in CRM tools & strategies, revenue forecast and management and customer lifecycle in depth knowledge - along with hands-on program execution experience in a high-velocity dynamic environment.
This is a high profile, leadership role within the company and we are looking for someone with exceptional ability to critically evaluate complex business issues, revise and onboard new initiatives and technologies and an ability to collaborate and influence teams across the organization. He/she is passionate about consumer growth and will be responsible for key areas of customer lifecycle and must have a proven track record and in-depth experience in the following:
Customer Retention and Loyalty
- Oversee and refine the promotional strategy, manage ongoing promo calendar with offers and discounts and oversee all current email marketing programs and direct mail. Maximize seasonality with unique and differentiated offers & strategies.
- Build new programs and initiatives with other channels - specifically Mobile, SMS and Push, in an effective vendor managed model.
- Closely monitor promo calendar, email and other campaign performance and implement plan modifications quickly to address revenue shortfall and related issues. Maximize use of the email offers and create more value-added touchpoints along customer journeys.
- Undertake a thorough customer journey mapping initiative and work with Digital Acquisition, Website, Product, and UX teams to identify, understand and optimize key customer segments and layer on lifecycle marketing opportunities, leveraging UX journey mapping, LTV analysis, product innovation, and experimentation with emerging technologies.
- Partner and provide strong guidance to Brand, Creative & Content teams to define targeted content and campaigns that increase customer engagement and purchase frequency.
- Manage and mentor Email Marketing team and develop them further to adopt and drive other Retention channels as outlined and work together to enhance the end-to-end email marketing and other channels processes, including concepting, creative, onboarding, triggered, transactional, and ad-hoc campaigns.
- Oversee and perform customer segmentation analytics (behavioral, attitudinal, demographic) and formulate a segmentation strategy within current customer base and implement productive tactics to grow revenue and AOV.
- Partner with Digital and Paid Media/ Performance Marketing, Data Engineering and Product Management to ensure our customer base is being nurtured and activated based on varying acquisition sources, and supporting the long-term health of our customer base.
- Evaluate vendor partners to support technology and analytics needs and help onboard new customer data platform/CRM as part of forward-looking strategy and plan.
- Develop personalization across retention channels to drive profitable sales and near-term incremental revenue while influencing longer term customer behavior.
- Regularly identify trends in targeted marketing and CRM strategies to glean insights on best practices and new innovative ideas around how we nurture and retain customers. Take a proactive approach to data exploration and opportunity identification.
- Oversee customer information capture performance, assess quality of capture and work with data analysis resources to improve frequency and quality of capture to grow the database.
- Establish methods and standards to keep data accurate, along with building communication governance and policies across SMS, Push, email, etc. and help team manage resolution of issues with ESP vendor and internal IT & platform teams.
Forecast, Revenue, Measurement and Reporting
- Define and own goals, objectives, KPIs, and monthly budget and revenue forecasts, plus monitor & meet targets on monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
- Develop robust measurement strategies – both at the campaign level – and at the customer segment level, to measure short-term and long-term impact of Retention and CRM strategies.
- Develop a rigorous testing strategy (A/B and multivariate tests) alongside the team to continually optimize all areas of the program, including identifying opportunities to better understand our customer segments and their lifecycle and behaviors through the email channel.
- Run post-campaign testing/analysis, and iterate to maximize revenue contribution.
- Partner with data engineering for tableau definition, logic and reports and present customized versions as needed for revenue management.
- 10+ years of retention marketing experience across areas including email, CRM, loyalty/rewards, SMS, push, direct mail, customer segmentation, and promotions in a B2C environment.
- 10+ years’ experience working in, and understanding the dynamics of consumer ecommerce technologies such as Shopify, Magento. Expert knowledge of email marketing / CRM, CMS and reporting tools including Salesforce, Adobe,Tableau etc.
- Results-oriented with an exceptional track record of developing profitable retention marketing programs and meeting and exceeding performance & revenue.
- Strong leadership skills and a proven ability to manage, mentor, and develop high-performing and highly engaged teams
- Understand how best to optimize for mobile and desktop experiences (desktop, mobile responsive and in-app marketing) and have experience creating app campaigns for Apple and Android devices
- Highly motivated with an entrepreneurial spirit and ability to work independently, while also able to build strong internal relationships and build consensus on critical initiatives
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills; comfortable leveraging large amounts of data to drive decisions and a passion for continuous testing and optimization
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple projects simultaneously and prioritizing time and resources based on business impact
- Passion for delighting and advocating for customers and an intimate understanding of how and when to influence customer behavior
- Bachelor’s Degree; Master’s degree a plus
Blurb® is a software driven self-publishing platform that unleashes the creative genius inside everyone. Blurb’s platform makes it easy to create, design, publish, promote, and sell professional-quality printed Photo books, Trade books, Journals, Magazines, eBooks amongst others. To date we have printed nearly 30 million books and have over 3.3M+ unique users. Blurb includes a team of design, technology and media veterans who share a passion for helping people bring their stories to life. Blurb authors have created millions of books using our full suite of free book-making tools. Blurb is taking the inspiration forward beyond books and recently launched custom Wall Art. Every wall is a blank canvas. Fill it with big smiles or wild panoramas. The company is headquartered in San Francisco and can be found online at blurb.com.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Employer-paid life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care, and transportation expenses
- Paid Holidays
- 15 days paid time off per year (with tenure-based increases after two years)
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Blurb is committed to equal opportunity and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act of 1990. The job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and other job functions are subject to modification. Reasonable accommodations may be provided to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.