Senior Software Engineer, Web
San Francisco, CA
Blurb® is a book-making platform and creative community that enables individuals to create, publish, share and sell high-quality photo books, trade books, and magazines in both print and digital formats. Blurb is accessible to consumers across the globe with free, innovative book creation and layout tools. Founded in 2005, Blurb has over 2 million customers worldwide, resulting in over 4 million unique book titles, with nearly 18 million units shipped to almost 100 countries around the world. We are headquartered in San Francisco.
The Web team at Blurb enables people all over the globe to buy, sell and share books seamlessly through the Blurb platform and beyond. As a member of this agile team, you will be responsible for collaborating and innovating on cutting-edge features and developing a scalable infrastructure to ship features to our worldwide customer base.
Your responsibility as a Senior Software Engineer will be to design and implement scalable solutions for our UI/UX on Blurb.com. This person will be a vital member of the Blurb team, responsible for the look and feel of multiple websites, landing pages, and forms, focusing on coding, usability, and ease of navigation. You will work closely with the rest of the Web team, Operations and Product teams to craft elegant solutions within our expansive e-commerce platform which facilitates all aspects of printer routing, shipping, order fulfillment, and customer support to our worldwide customer base.
- Collaborate with Product, Design, Marketing, and other stakeholders to iterate on the design and implementation of our web products
- Work with BI, Data Science and our Platform team to build features and ship experiments
- Build efficient, scalable and reusable systems and abstractions
- Find and address performance issues
- Participate in design and code reviews
- Identify and communicate best practices
- Write unit/integration tests to cover features, use cases and flows within our web applications
Education: BS in Computer Science preferred or a related discipline / equivalent training
Work Experience: At least 3 years of professional web development experience.
- Professional level experience developing with React/Redux for production environments
- Experience working with Git for version control (GitHub, Bitbucket)
- Strong knowledge of HTML5, CSS3, and related web technologies
- Strong CS fundamentals
- Responsive Design implementation
- Awareness of cross-browser compatibility issues and client-side performance considerations
- Demonstrated design and UX sensibilities
- Experience with Agile/Scrum development methodologies
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Node.js experience
- Serverless Architecture (AWS Lambda, Serverless Framework, AWS-SAM)
- Worked with AWS (and/or other cloud providers) in previous roles
- Modern SEO practices
- Web Performance
- Know at least one other server-side language (Ruby, Java, Python, PHP, etc.)
- Know at least one MVC framework (Rails, Django, etc.)
- Previous e-commerce experience
- Familiarity with CI/CD (Jenkins, CircleCI, build scripts)
- Previous experience managing monorepos (i.e. Lerna)
This is a full time position based in our San Francisco headquarters. Occasional work from home is an option.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (PPO or HMO options)
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Employer-paid life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care, and transportation expenses
- 10 paid holidays
- 15 days paid time off per year (with tenure-based increases after two years)
- Free lunch on Wednesdays
- $300 credit a year to create your own books with Blurb
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Blurb is committed to equal opportunity and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act of 1990. The job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and other job functions are subject to modification. Reasonable accommodations may be provided to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.